Year 2000 Wolf Update Reports - Archives
- 2000 Dec. 27. Yellowstone Park wolf update for mid-December 2000. Druids move in on Rose Creek; Nez Perce displaces Leopold.
- 2000 Dec. 21. Re-released Sheep Mountain Pack doing well so far. Update Dec. 27.
- 2000 Dec. 16. Wolf number 9 had no pups in 2000.
- 2000 Dec. 16. Soda Springs Wolf Meets Its End.
Where did it come from? The wolf teamed with sheep guard dog gone over to the other side.
- 2000 Dec. 12. Another Big Smoky Pack Wolf Illegally Shot Dead. This time it's the alpha male.
- 2000, Dec. 12. Running update on the 3 state wolf packs and pups. I begin this in late April, and is now updated to December. You can also find it on my wolf history page
- 2000 Dec. 7. Member of the Teton Pack dead. Investigation under way.
- 2000 Dec. 5. Sheep Mountain Pack to be Re-released today north of Yellowstone Park. Update (AP story on the release) 12-7. New info 12-9.
- 2000 Nov. 28. Large Idaho wolf found shot dead southwest of Hailey. 12-1 minor info addition.
- 2000 Nov. 26. Update on the Idaho Wolves. A little more info added on Nov. 28.
- 2000 Nov. 21. Report on Wyoming Wolves Outside Yellowstone. Late Nov. 2000.
- 2000 Nov. 20. Yellowstone Park wolf update for mid-November 2000. More Nov. 21 and Dec. 1.
- 2000 Nov. 12. Recent Observation of 27 members of the Druid Peak Pack.
- 2000 Nov. 10. Fish and Wildlife Service holds public hearings on wolf downlisting and reclassification. Updated Nov. 10.
- 2000 Nov. 7. Former Crystal Creek alpha female, no. 5F seen feeding with the Druid Peak Pack.
- 2000 Oct. 29. On the Run With Wolf B36. The war over gray wolves has been raging ever since they were reintroduced to the American West five years ago. The story of one wolf's perilous life captures the conflict between those who celebrate them and those who want to see them dead. By Sara Corbett. New York Times Magazine.
- 2000 Oct. 27. Montana Wolves Make a Comeback
- 2000 Oct. 21. Likely wild wolf shot south of Pendleton Oregon. Oregonian. Although this may sound like bad news, it has its good side. It indicates that wolves are dispersing into Oregon. If it proves to be a wild wolf, it will be the third Idaho wolf known to have migrated to Oregon. The Blue Mountains where it was shot seems to be place wolves will reinhabit first in Oregon.
- 2000 Oct. 17. Yellowstone Park Wolf Update for mid-October. Note added Oct. 18, and retrospective added Dec.30, 2002.
- 2000 Oct. 13. Yellowstone Wolves are Killing More Bison
- 2000 Oct. 11. Several groups say that will sue Fish and Wildlife Service for wolf control policies on the endangered wolves of NW Montana. Link to story added on Oct. 12.
- 2000 Oct. 7. Trappers after the Stanley Pack Again! Update Oct. 13. The trapping has not been successful and so is terminated.
- 2000 Oct. 3. Druid Pups Prosper: 20 are still alive!
- 2000 Sept. 24. Gros Ventre Pack loses two members to control after killing livestock dogs and killing a calf. Updated twice on 9-25. Additional story added on 10-9.
- 2000 Sept. 22. Stanley alpha male moved to north Idaho, sub-adult dispatched. Stanley Pack control ends More info added 10-4
- 2000 Sept. 24. Fewer Wolves and Fewer Wildfires may have led to Aspenís Decline
- 2000 Sept. 21. Lethal Control of Stanley Pack is Still On-going. Update on 9-22
- 2000 Sept. 22. Yellowstone Area Wolf Report for mid-September 2000
- 2000 Sept 14. Stanley pack strikes on private property
- 2000 Sept 14. Central Idaho locals comment on proposed wolf plan
- 2000 Sept 13. Authorities say illness killed wolf - Sheep Mountain #16F
- 2000 Sept. 6. Lethal Control to Begin on Idaho's Stanley Pack. Updated later on 9-6
- 2000 Sept. 4. Carter Niemeyer to Replace Roy Heberger as head of Idaho Wolf Recovery
- 2000 Sept. 2. Stanley Wolf Pack Threatened by Sheep Again
- 2000 Aug 30. Wolf Kill Permit Issued for Wolves on Public Land in the Gravelly Range of SW Montana
- 2000 Aug 23. Wyoming wolf update outside Yellowstone
- 2000 July 24. Massive Forest Fire near Salmon, Idaho threatens Wolf habitat. Updated until Sept. 1
- 2000 Aug 17. Yellowstone wolf update.
- 2000 Aug 11. Stanley Wolf Pack loses one member, Trapping Stops for Now
- 2000 Aug 7. Stanley Wolf Pack Peril Continues -- Wolf Advocates Block Road in Pole Creek Update August 8
- 2000 Aug. 4. Stanley Pack being trapped because they killed 3 sheep: Southern end of White Cloud Peaks closed to recreationists while the "job" is carried out.
- 2000 July 31. Good news! White Cloud alpha female relocated. Twin Peaks alpha pair located too.
- 2000 July 22. Sheep Mtn. alpha female dies. Aversive conditioning experiment jeopardized.
- 2000 July 21. Wyoming wolves outside Yellowstone NP faring well this year. Addition July 25
- 2000 July 8. The big game hunt and wolves.
- 2000 July 5. Alpha male of Rose Creek Pack, no. 8, found dead in Slough Creek. Note: July 19
- 2000 July 4. Wolves to be delisted and downlisted over the next year, USFWS to propose.
Details: Here is the US Fish and Wildlife Service Proposal (link) of July 11. You have four months to submit your comments.
- 2000 June 23. Surprise Amendment in U.S. Senate Seeks to Legislate Wolves out of Oregon. More on the story from the Oregonian. Story added July 1.
- 2000 June 5. Idaho wolf killed on I-84 Near Baker, Oregon
- 2000 June 1. An Effort to Move the Chief Joseph Pack just goes in a Circle.
- 2000 May 31. Sheep Mountain Pack Captured. Update June 19.
- 2000 May 29. Death of member of Spotted Bear Pack Investigated. Article added on June 4
- 2000 May 26. Druid Yearling killed on Park road at Soda Butte.
- 2000 May 25. Controversy Brews Over the Sole Remaining Wolf Pack in South Central Idaho
- 2000 May 15. Druid no. 42F moves pups to late 40F's den on Druid Peak. Update May 16
- 2000 May 11. Druid Peak Alpha Female is Killed by members of her pack. Updates on May 12. Article added May 26 and another May 28
- 2000 May 9. A Wolf Near Cache Valley, Utah?
- 2000 May 4. Evidence that Idaho Wolves have again migrated to Oregon. More info May 8
- 2000 April 28. Alpha female of Soda Butte Pack, no. 14F, killed by moose.
- 2000 April 21. Big Wildlife Services mistake in the White Clouds costs the Alpha Male. Updates 4-22, 4-27, 5-10
- 2000 April 20. Some implications of the prevalence of number 9's genes.
- 2000 April 17. Famous number 9's Genes Dominate the Yellowstone Wolf Population
- 2000 April 15. Information about the Yellowstone Wolves from Interagency Wolf Conference
- 2000 April 9. Twin Peaks Pack brief update
- 2000 April 4. Control of Idaho's White Clouds Pack Underway. Updates 4-5 and 6
- 2000 April 4. Wolves and Red Herrings. Opinion
- 2000 March 30. Brief Yellowstone Wolf Update late March 2000. With additions April 4 and 14
- 2000 March 16. Twin Peaks alpha pair moved to Selway-Bitterroot. Rest of the pack near Challis . . . . and more Idaho wolf news. Latest Update: March 30. Air hunt for wolves called off for extraneous reasons.
- 2000 March 23. Reflections on the Twin Peaks Pack Controversy
- 2000 March 20. Report on Dispersing Idaho wolves.
- 2000 March 8. Yellowstone wolf news early March 2000. Additions March 13
- 2000 March 2. Hurless returns Defender's' check and hold a news conference..
- 2000 Feb 29. Thirty-two conservation groups protest lowering Northern Rockies Wolf Recovery Goals.
- 2000 Feb 28. Central Idaho area wolf hysteria continues. Updated and revised. for Feb. 28.
- 2000 Feb 21. Yellowstone area wolf update mid-February 2000 Update Feb. 28 on death of 163M
- 2000 Feb 19. Famous wolf no. 9 gains a new pack -- the "Valentine Pack." Note added July 10. The pack did not gain the official name "Valentine Pack." It was officially named the Beartooth Pack.
- 2200 Feb 18. News report says Hurless killed his own dog and then the wolves dragged it off. Update Feb. 19
- 2000 Feb. 18. Hurless says he's on his way to kill off the pack. Addition: statement by Idaho Cattle Association on the situation.
- 2000 Feb 16 . Controversy over Twin Peaks Pack continues. And an update Feb. 16 and 18
- 2000 Feb 12 Jackson, Wyoming area wolves not seen much this winter. Teton Pack acquires possible mate for 24F.
- 2000 Feb 11. One more member of Twin Peaks Pack shot in control kill.
- 2000 Jan 27 . Three wolves from Idaho's Twin Peaks Pack shot in control action near Clayton. Revisions Feb. 5.
- 2000 Feb 6 . Idaho Wolf Update. Jan. 2000: New locations and new pairs/packs.
- 2000 Feb 1 . Two Idaho wolves and several other animals poisoned in mountains west of Salmon, Idaho. Addition Feb. 5
- 2000 Feb 2 . Chief Joe Pack Kills yet another sheep guard dog.
- 2000 Feb 1 . Two Idaho wolves and several other animals poisoned in mountains west of Salmon, Idaho
- 2000 Jan 27 . Three wolves from Idaho's Twin Peaks Pack shot in control action near Clayton.
- 2000 Jan 27 . Yellowstone Wolf Collaring Gets Under Way: Early Results.
- 2000 Jan 20 . My commentary on the news story, "Bangs Tells Outfitters Wolves May be Hunted Some Day in Montana."
- 2000 Jan 14 . Strong Evidence of Wolves Near Boise, Idaho. Update 2000 Jan 18
Archived Wolf Reports
2003 Wolf Report Files
2002 Wolf Report Files
2001 Wolf Report Files
1999 Wolf Report Files
1998 Wolf Report Files
1997 Wolf Report Files
1996 Wolf Report Files
1995 Wolf Report Files
Ralph Maughan's Current Wolf Reports
Site and Photos owned by Copyright 1995-2000 ©
Site Design and Graphics by ©1997-2000 " All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site or any material within this site may be
used without the expressed written permission from the author.